Wednesday, February 01, 2006

IE7 and Google

Internet Explorer 7 Beta Preview is here...I wish I could install it on my system here and play around with it :)...but its not stable and I will have to do a lot of explaining if it crashes the system...:(

So MS is playing catch up and copy up(as they always do). It seems that MS has basically added features that the people cited as reasons for shifting away from IE in the first place...so we have tabbed browsing, rss reader, better search facility and a zoom option...a couple of add ons include the new printing capability and of course better security(add on?).

The logic is simple...people are unlikely to shift to another browser if their standard(read inbuilt) browser keeps them reasonably satisfied...so IE is unlikely to lose its market share any further once IE7 comes up...it might infact regain a few lost users...which means that Firefox and Opera have to work even more on innovation(which will be swiftly copied of course)

The preview version is aimed at developers and tech enthusiasts; a more stable version for the general public is likely to follow soon...the preview version can be downloaded from the official IE Site . The sad part is that it is not available for all platforms...



Google has been caught up in yet another controversy...just days after resisting U.S. Department of Justice's request for examining millions of online search records (for which it has been taken to court), it is under fire again for its agreement to launch a Chinese version of its search engine censoring some of its services in keeping with Beijing's restrictions on free speech. Ironic I think...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, uh, you wanted them NOT to do tabbed browsing? What did you want them to do -- roll over and die?

NoviceProgrammer said...

When did I say that? I was just pointing out that they are just adding features already in other browsers and are not bothering to give something new to talk about...

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that IE7 has improved its CSS engine. Whether one likes it or not, it remains the most imp browser for us web developers.

sinusoidally said...

Heh, I have no idea what you wrote in this post...I am so behind when it comes to computers. So long I can check my email I am happy!

Anonymous said...

Technically challenged person reporting :D How you been?

Anonymous said...

@ Brian : Yep so they say...read that some of the hacks won't be needed anymore which is good.

@ Sines : Check your email ;)

@ Anita : I am doing well and I think you are doing very well!!!

Wanderlust said...

man!....that's loads of information...and i agree that updating of IE will keep people happy and content with IE....this post seems more like a tech news, nontheless its good :-)