Sunday, January 08, 2006

Voting rights for NRIs?

I say "What for?"

Those in favour/asking/demanding it put forward the claim that since they retain/still hold their Indian passport its only fair to let them have the chance to vote...some even want a reserved (that word again) seat for NRIs in the parliament on the lines of seats reserved for Anglo-Indians. Some also put forward the example of postal ballot in the US thanks to which Mr. Bush won in the first place...

The NRIs based in the Gulf have been demanding voting rights for a long time as they cannot participate in the electoral process of countries like Saudi Arabia. Hmmm! That has to be the most absurd logic to put forward such a claim. I will sooo like to see people who live in Tax Heavens like Monte Carlo say the same thing...they dont levy taxes so I want my national govt to levy taxes on me...there are already plenty of privileges bestowed on people of Indian Origin...maybe its govt's idea of sending everyone abroad so that the population stays in check...:)

No, seriously speaking I say so coz its practical utility is zero, zilch, nada, none. To start with it requires an amendment made into the Representation of Peoples Act(R.P), the relevant section of which states (Section 19 of the R. P. Act, 1950):

"Only a person who is ordinarily resident in a constituency is entitled to be registered in the electoral roll of that constituency and can vote in Indian elections. However, the non-resident Indian Citizens who are employed under Govt. of India in a post outside India are eligible to be registered as voters in terms of Sec 20 (8) (d) read with Sec 20 (3) of the R. P. Act, 1950"

Then those who cite the US postal ballot...well we don't have a presidential form of government, there are 545 seats in the parliament...one would need to find the right constituency for everyone...how do you prepare the voting list? How do you ensure the validity of the ballot? It just doesn't make sense...if this is allowed, then I guess I should also be allowed to post my ballot from Hyderabad to Delhi.

And one more thing...if I can vote..umm can I stand in elections as well?

Not for a moment am I questioning the loyalty/patriotism of people living outside India, nor am I challenging the knowledge about the constituency he/she belongs to - I am sure a lot will know more than the locals and will be in a position to make more informed decisions. But that is no reason in itself to let some one vote.

3 comments:

Sunrayz said...

Very important issue. I have had numerous debates about this with folx who stay here in the UK.
I agree with what you say...

Anonymous said...

hey u noe it's not undoable..was just reading this article in today's TOI which talks abt it..
there r alot of issues though.implementation would create a lot of problems, how safe would postal ballots b..
also, like u said, rights always have a corresponding duty..

Anonymous said...

@ sunrayz : It would be interesting to read what people living outside have to say on this

@ Neha : I never said that it was undoable. I said that there is no practical utility of it, not to mention rights minus the duties...