Friday, October 07, 2005

Obsessed with the minority issue

It is no secret that I totally despise the whole philosophy of minority - majority atleast in the context (on religious lines) that is prevelant in India today. So whenever some new development takes place that strengthens my own ideas, I tend to jump on to them. A few friends think that I do so because I havent faced any personal discrimination so far, maybe...but that does little to reduce my frustration when I come across new developments relating to the issue.

All this blabber started when I read about the Allahabad HC ruling on Aligarh Muslim University's Minority Status.

I have never understood the need for having minority institutions in education. Formative years are the time when we form all our prejudices and biases towards things and people. Why on Earth would we want to do that when we are trying to build a pluralistic society. Unless ofcourse we dont want to build a pluralistic society, hmmm....thats worth considering...but maybe not today...
We keep talking about equality and a desire to become one people but our laws end up keeping the different groups from mingling - leading to mis-information and grudges.
It is not surprising therefore to see lack of collectivism in thought and action as people continue to see themselves as part of a group or a region rather than as the citizens of India.

p.s: Some sections of the (supposedly) aggrieved community have threatened a nation wide stir to put pressure on the center to revoke the ruling, it will be interesting to see the state's response to the whole issue. I hope that such melodrama will not be tolerated. There are more important things to worry and agitate about.

No comments: