Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dilbert

Someone forwarded me a cool Dilbert strip the other day in the mail...it was abt cubicles...kind of fits the typical IT employee...So I thought I will put it here and decided to take permission from the publishers.
I got a quick reply :

Dear Siddharth,

Thank you for your reply. There is a price involved with the usage of any strip. Please let me know if you want to proceed with this request.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

International Syndicate

Now I enjoy Dilbert series a lot so I was a bit disappointed with the price tag involved but what the heck.
Reading the mail reminded me of Bill Watterson (the creator of Calvin & Hobbes) . He had fought the syndicate for which he worked over licensing possibilities, which he stubbornly rejected.

"My strip is about private realities, the magic of imagination, and the specialness of certain friendships. Who would believe in the innocence of a little kid and his tiger if they cashed in on their popularity to sell overpriced knickknacks that nobody needs?"

One of his rare public appearances since he retired...

The Cheapening of Comics


p.s :
syn·di·cate (snd-kt)n.
1) A loose affiliation of gangsters in control of organized criminal activities.
2) An agency that sells articles, features, or photographs for publication in a number of newspapers or periodicals simultaneously.
3) A company consisting of a number of separate newspapers; a newspaper chain.
4) The office, position, or jurisdiction of a syndic or body of syndics.

:))

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol.. good one mots

Anonymous said...

Scott Adams sold out ages ago...
Calvin Rules!!